Christmas is just around the corner, so it's time to treat yourself. Cream cheese frosting and festive sprinkles make these red velvet cookies perfect for this holiday season. Let's get baking!
RED VELVET SUGAR COOKIES
Ingredients for 16 cookies
2 1/4 cups cake flour
3 Tbsp unsweetned cocoa powder
2 tsp cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar
food coloring of your choice (hint: use red!)
4 oz . cream cheese , softened
1/4 cup butter , softened
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together cake flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder and salt until well blended, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment whip butter, shortening and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Mix in egg, then mix in egg white, vanilla, lemon juice and food coloring. With mixer set on low speed, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees during last 10 minutes of chilling.
- Shape dough into about 3 Tbsp balls and transfer to Silpat lined baking sheets. Evenly flatten balls with greased hands to about 1/2-inch.
- Bake in preheated oven 9 - 11 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet 2 minutes then transfer to a wire rack. Cool completely then frost with cream cheese frosting.
For the frosting:
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip cream cheese and butter until pale and fluffy.
- Mix in vanilla extract followed by powdered sugar and blend until well combined and fluffy.
- Spread evenly
Full recipe: Cooking Classy